February 20, 2018


Today I woke up and had breakfast: two rolls and a banana. I then headed out to go to orientation. I had no trouble finding the building, but I was about thirty minutes early. Some other students began to show up and we all tried to figure out where we needed to go. We read a sign on the International Office Door that said to go to another classroom. So we left, and headed towards that classroom. There were five of us. I started talking to a boy from Canada and a girl from California. Both are very nice. Eventually, three Uni Wien workers come in and start talking to us in German. Everyone just stared blankly at them. They then asked if we were here for the Orientation and we said yes. But apparently, this was an orientation for EU students only and would be held in German. The lady told us to go back to the international office and said that Siina, the lady in charge of International stuff, started ten minutes ago. So the five of us went back down to the International Office and got situated. The meeting lasted about an hour and was informative. Siina answered most of my questions. Our meeting was in the Main campus building. This building is very old but quite beautiful. I feel like I am walking in a museum. I will get lost in that building. It is quite confusing to navigate.

            Justin is the boy from Canada and we had been talking all morning. After orientation, I told him I had to run and do some errands and we agreed to meet back at the International Office at 2:30. I headed to the Sprachenzentrum which is the language center. I wanted to ask about my placement tests for German and Russian. I was able to take my German placement test right in the main office. The grammar sheet was very difficult, and I guessed on mostly everything. The next part of the exam was to describe a provided picture in 80 words or less. I had no problems with this. I had thirty minutes to complete this exam. The lady graded it right in front of me. I was surprised how many of the grammar questions I got right. Although, my grade was still probably failing. She laughed and said that I speak much better. She placed me into the level I thought I should be at and I was very happy. I booked the class at the time I wanted and headed back to the main building to meet up with Justin. My Russian exam will be on Thursday.

            Back at the main building, Justin and I went to the ESN office, where we bought a welcome bag that contained a SIM card as well as helpful pamphlets and discounts. Justin explained to me how he is living in a dormitory that came with nothing. He has not dishes or bedding. I offered to go shopping with him since I had nothing to do. I led him to a place where my friend back home said would have good shopping. We went in the mall and he was able to purchase some things he needed. I bought a winter hat in H&M because it was cold and snowy the whole day. Justin and I then went to Starbucks. We wanted to try out our SIM cards. We eventually got them working and were happy to find out that we have 9 GB of data. This plan expires in thirty days so we will have to go get a refill card. Justin is very nice and I hope that we continue to be friends. We both know no one here. Tomorrow, we are going to turn in our Medelzettel which is our document that explains our living in a new residence. I need this turned in to get my semester transportation ticket.

            I finally met my last roommate. He is from Paris and seems nice. The guy from Finland talks to me the most. So far, I am liking it in Vienna. I am not a fan of the weather and am starting to feel sick. I hope this doesn’t last. I have more running around to do tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

February 28, 2018

Febraury 24, 2018