March 10- Bratislava, Slovakia
To today, I went to Bratislava, Slovakia with some friends. Justin from Canada, two girls from Luxembourg, one from Germany, one from Norway, another from the Netherlands, and then a guy from Australia. The bus tickets were only 10 Euro round trip which is really cheap. Justin and I met up at the university and headed to the bus station together. We were the first to arrive. The bus ride was only an hour long and this bus was much more comfortable than the bus I took to Prague. After getting out of the bus, we all went to a restaurant and everyone ate breakfast. I didn’t eat anything since I already had breakfast. After breakfast, we tried to figure out what to do. No one had any plans of what they wanted to see so I pulled up Bratislava attractions on my phone and showed everyone this blue church. Everyone was fine with going there and it was only about a 15 minute walk from the restaurant. The church is quite pretty, although I do not know why it is blue.
I then wanted to go see this statue of a man in a sewer. We easily found it because there must have been 20 people standing around it. It’s interesting but I don’t know why it is there.
Next on our list was the Bratislava castle. We could see the castle as soon as we got out of the bus. It was a hike to get up to the castle but it was worth it. The castle is very pretty and doesn’t look that old. The views from the castle are also spectacular. Of course there are many tourists up here. I don’t know what this castle is or was used for. I should probably research this. A tour of this city would have been nice. Everything is within walking distance.
After the castle, we were all hungry and tried to find a place to eat. I was surprised how expensive food was. It was pricier than Vienna. Lunches were ranging from 10-18 euros. We could not find a restaurant that could accommodate 8 people. Finally, we went to a vegan restaurant. I was very skeptical about this and was not happy about this choice. They only had six main dishes on their menu and everything was vegetable based. I decided to get a duck and egg sandwich. I asked for it without mayonnaise and red onions. I was surprised, it was actually good. It’s not something I would order again but I have no complaints. After lunch, I wanted to find this place that makes little pancakes and covers them in chocolate. I was really looking forward to this. We put the address in google maps but could not find the place. We went to the location and there was just an empty store. I was disappointed. I did find another statue that I had been looking for.

We then went to the UFO bridge. I wanted to go up in the tower that can give you a panoramic view of Bratislava. We walked across the bridge and found out that it was 7 euros to go up. No one wanted to pay so we just searched for a cafe and had cake and hot chocolate. It was only 3:30 and we had done everything we wanted to do. I booked my ticket back to Vienna for 7:40. I booked this in advance because I did not want to risk not having transportation back. The other kids just booked while we were at lunch. They all booked tickets for 5:30. I didn’t want to wait for two hours so I went with the kids and tried getting on the bus anyways. I asked the bus driver and he said it was fine. There was more than enough room. This was a wonderful day trip and I am excited to show my parents around Bratislava when they come.







Comments
Post a Comment