March 4, 2018
This
week has had its ups and downs. The disaster of scheduling for classes really
had me down this week. I have been de-registered from every class that I had
registered for. The main issue is this: to have a class at the University of
Vienna count as one class at W&J, the course must be at least 6 ECTS. SE or
Seminar classes are usually 6 ECTS or more so seminar classes are my only
option. Now these Seminar classes are usually only for master’s students. As I
am only a second year bachelor’s student, I cannot get into these seminar
courses. This past week, I have emailed probably 10 different professors/faculty
asking if they could help me find a course that I could take or if it would be
possible for me to take their class. All responded and were very nice and
willing to help, they just could not do much. I need to have a BA degree to get
into these courses. While I was going through email tag, the date of
registration for classes had closed so this also made it quite difficult. I
even went to talk to the director at the International Office and she told me
that it would be very difficult to schedule for classes now that registration
is closed. I emailed all my advisors at W&J and asked for advice and help
in finding classes. My German Professor found me two classes that I could take,
however one was during the time of my German class and the other was about
Beach Body Advertising. At this point, this class is just a desperate reach.
This would not count for any of my majors and is not something I was interested
in. I was so “done” with this schedule drama. I did not even care anymore. After
a few emails with my German professor, she recommended that I could take
another language course at the Sprachenzentrum. I was thrilled to hear this and
immediately signed up for beginning Arabic. I had always wanted to take Arabic
and this would save me from taking a class that I wouldn’t be interested in.
Additionally, if I had tried getting into more Seminar classes, that would just
mean more papers, exams, and presentations for me. No thanks! I find learning a
new language to be much more valuable. I want to enjoy my time here, not be
swamped with work. Now this would be my third foreign language course here:
German, Russian, and Arabic. I am super excited for these languages, but I know
that it will be a challenge. I did end up getting into a history course as
well. So, I now have a full schedule and I am satisfied.
Now
a culture update: I am shocked at the unwillingness to help here. I was obviously
having a hard time scheduling for classes. Besides a few emails of course suggestions
from professors, no one went above and beyond to help me. And as I am an
international student, I expected to have a bunch of people willing to help me.
I guess this was a bit of a culture shock. I know that at W&J, I can email
any professor and they would be willing to help me. I could even knock on a professor’s
door that I didn’t even know, and they would sit down with me to figure out my
schedule problems. This just was not the case here. There was no one willing to
look through classes with me, ask about my interests, look at my other classes.
Nope. I am disappointed. Adding onto the unwillingness to help, Justin and I
have been going around the city to find our classes. We have an address of where
the class is but often have difficulty finding the classroom. We have our
phones out, are looking all around, looking at maps, and no one even stops to
ask if we need help. People obviously see us but run right by and carry on with
their lives. I realize it’s a culture thing here: everyone keeps to themselves.
I just find it to be incredibly rude. How hard would it be to ask “hey, do you
guys need help finding anything.” At my school, upperclassmen have helped me
when I looked lost during the first week of classes and I have helped the
freshman this year. It’s just a common gesture to do. So in summary, Americans
are much kinder and much more helpful than Europeans.
The
Erasmus Student Network (ESN) puts on events every day leading up to the
beginning of classes for the international students to meet one another while
getting to know the city. I went to my first ESN event on Wednesday with
Justin. The event was a tour of the gardens of Schönbrunn palace. There were probably
40 or so international students that showed up. Everyone met in front of the
palace and it was quite awkward. Most people came with people they already knew
so they only talked to those people. Eventually, two older girls came and
started the “tour”. I must say, this was the worst tour I have ever been on.
These girls had no idea what they were talking about. They did not speak up and
were just very unprofessional. I felt like they were forced to do the tour. For
example, we would walk past a fountain and they would say, “and here is a fountain.”
We would all stop and there would just be a few minutes of silence. We all looked
around at each other thinking, “Is that it?” To add to this disaster of a tour,
it was absolutely freezing, and the pathways were frozen with ice. I slipped
many of times. Towards the end of the “tour,” I began talking to two students.
One was from Australia and the other was from Norway. They were both very nice.
Students started to leave and eventually there were just nine of us left. We
all decided to go to a restaurant together. All of us were from different countries
which was cool. If I remember correctly there was: America, Canada, Australia,
Norway, England, Germany, Luxembourg, Belgium, and Croatia. I had good conversations
with all of them and we even made a group chat. I just don’t think I found that
good friend yet. I was very sad after that day.
The
next day, I went to another ESN event which was Schnitzel Eating. How could I
pass up Schnitzel? I was the first person to arrive at the restaurant. I got
the times mixed up. Eventually, another boy came in, saw me, and sat by himself
at another table. How rude can you be? More people started coming in and no one
was sitting with me. So, I grabbed my glass and sat at the long table with
everyone else. Seats around me started to fill in and I began talking with
people. My first conversation was with a girl from France. She only spoke
German or French, so this was a great opportunity for me to use my German. A
girl sitting across from me is from Ireland and she spoke German as well. Us three
spoke in German throughout the whole dinner. Another girls across from me was
from England. To my left was a girl from Cyprus and across from her was a girl
from Brazil. Both girls were very nice. Next to these two girls were two guys from
Poland. These four were in a friend group. At the end of the dinner, they all
got my number and even added me in a group chat with them. This was very nice
of them. Again though, I don’t think I have met that good group of friends yet.
Schnitzel eating was better than the palace.
Now
for my apartment. My bed is kind of small, but it is tolerable. The kitchen is
tiny and is a disappointment. We don’t even have an oven. There is just a hot
plate and a microwave. So, when I moved in, I had flatmates from Finland,
Belgium, and Paris. Apparently, Paris moved out and a guy from Switzerland
moved in. I met Switzerland. I think his name is Sandro but for now I will call
everyone by their country. So, Switzerland is from Zurich and is very nice. We
have good conversations and he just seems like a cool and nice guy. But then
Finland. Finland is getting on my nerves. So, my room is right next to the
kitchen and his room is across from mine. When he needs to go to the bathroom,
he leaves his room and literally stomps down the hallway and slams the bathroom
door. When he is in the kitchen, he bashes all his pots and pans together. He
is just very noisy and the noise he makes is unnecessary and can be avoided.
What annoys me even more is his nosiness. Anytime he hears my door open or that
I am in the kitchen, he will come out of his room and walk to the bathroom, throw
something in the trash, wash a dish, or “get something from the refrigerator.” I
don’t know if he wants to see what I am cooking or… I don’t even know. I just find
it to be annoying. Like please let me have my privacy and my space. So fast
forward to Friday night. Switzerland is in the kitchen and I am also in the
kitchen washing dishes. We start having a conversation and then Finland comes
out of his room and butts into our conversation and starts talking to
Switzerland. They start talking about food and alcohol, so I just went and sat
in my room. They have similar interests, so they bonded over that. I just
thought it was rude of Finland to interrupt. The next morning, I finally got to
talk to Switzerland alone. I asked if we could speak only in German and he said
of course because it would be easier for him. Belgium doesn’t give me any
issues. He is never here. I think I overheard him talking to Switzerland that
he is moving to another apartment soon, so we will see what happens.
Laundry is on the very bottom floor of my apartment. I bought some detergent and did my laundry on Saturday morning. There are only two washers and two dryers. You must pay 2,50 for a wash and dryers are free. I put my clothes in the washer, put the soap in the wrong place, paid and everything seemed to work out. I transferred my clothes to the dryer and hit “auto normal dry.” It did not give me a time, so I just thought I would wait an hour and come back down. I came back down, and my clothes were still wet. I went back upstairs, showered, came back down and my clothes were then dry. They were very wrinkly and stiff. I might try adding fabric softener next time. I did not have a hamper, so I used two shopping bags to carry my laundry. I felt stupid, but hey, it worked.
I
may have mentioned this before, but I was planning a trip to Malta and Italy. I
had some people interested in going. To make this short, people started pulling
out because of conflicting events, cost, and just that there were not enough
people to go. I was very upset. I really wanted to go on this trip. Now I have
nothing to do the first week of Spring Break. Justin is going to visit his
friend in Copenhagen, so I will see if I can come with him. I have spent the
past few days planning trips for my parents when they come. So far, I have
trips booked to Bratislava, Budapest, and Salzburg. I booked a Sound of Music
Tour in Salzburg and I hope that my mom will enjoy this. I am trying to book
busses to Graz, Austria but yesterday there was a report of fraud on my credit
card. I called Dollar Bank and got it straightened out but still cannot
purchase the tickets. I really want to go to 10 new countries but I do not know
if that will happen now that the Malta and Italy trip is cancelled and I do not
really have a group of friends to travel with. There is an ESN trip to Romania on
March 15 but they have not opened registration yet. Justin talked to a lady
from ESN and she said that they are having problems arranging the hotels. I don’t
think this trip will happen. They should reschedule it for later in the
semester. I really want to go on this trip though. After my first week of
classes, I will start to plan my trips for my Magellan. I hope to plan more trips
in the future.
Comments
Post a Comment